AmeriCorps Peer Advocate
AmeriCorps Peer Advocate
Funded through a grant from the Federal AmeriCorps Member Program administered by the State of Wisconsin, AmeriCorps Members commit to a year of community service averaging 33 hours per week (minimum of 1,700 hours annually during the grant period of September 1, 2019 through August 31, 2020) and in return receive a living allowance of $583 semi-monthly, plus an educational award of $6,095 upon successful term completion that can be used for either new advanced education tuition or for re-payment of existing student loans. Health insurance is available at no cost for AmeriCorps Members, and child care benefits assistance is provided to qualifying AmeriCorps Member. Extensive pre-service and in-service training opportunities are required and are provided free of charge to participating AmeriCorps Member throughout Wisconsin.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Duties of the AmeriCorps Member Peer Advocate are to supervise the daily activities of runaway and homeless youth within the Pathfinders 24-hour licensed shelter group home, work to build rapport with residents, and to assist with youth development opportunities and training. Responsibilities include recruiting youth for Service Learning program and aftercare services, assisting callers to the program’s crisis hotlines, supervision of community volunteers, and youth group facilitation and supervision. Manage aftercare program by providing case management, supervision of “peers” engaged in service learning, and assist with youth activity groups. Co-facilitate Sunday Youth group at the Pathfinders Drop-In Center with other AmeriCorps Members by providing a safe place for shelter residents and ex-residents to congregate for a meal and an engaging group activity.
- Additional duties include maintaining appearance and safety of the group home facility, instructing youth on independent living skills such as cooking, cleaning, and laundry, providing youth and family support and assistance.
- “Position involves a variable work schedule that may include some overnight and weekend hours”
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Recruit, select, train, retain, monitor and recognize volunteers and interns (unpaid staff) placed throughout Pathfinders’ broad array of services.
- Lead community outreach efforts to recruit a diverse pool of volunteers and interns
- Respond to all volunteer inquiries
- Maintain and expand public listings regarding volunteer opportunities, including but not limited to United Way
- Screen, interview and select volunteer and intern candidates
- Update curriculum and related materials for all volunteer trainings, in partnership with HR; seek input from program partners
- Assist with the implementation of continuing education for volunteers/interns in conjunction with program staff, as needed
- Provide follow up and support for all volunteers/volunteer supervisors
- Create, manage and organize volunteer appreciation activities in conjunction with the Development & Communications team
- Maintain tracking of volunteers and volunteer opportunities in Donor Perfect database; run agency reports, as needed
- Manage single-day corporate/group volunteers
- Create and manage meaningful engagement opportunities for the community to support Pathfinders.
- Research, secure and steward individual/corporate/faith-based donors and other organizations for the solicitation of in-kind goods, serving Drop-In Center dinners, providing year-end holiday gifts and other meals/items.
- Develop and manage the delivery/pick up schedule of in-kind donations with donors.
- Exercise discretion regarding acceptance and/or disposal of donated goods and maintains donor relationships.
- Provide donation information for Donor Perfect data entry and donor acknowledgement.
- Work with program staff to ensure the proper processing of donations and needs.
- Represent the organization at public events/public speaking opportunities.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with all departments/programs to coordinate volunteer needs and maximize volunteer resources and assistance.
- Maintain volunteer records and complete necessary reports of activities, inputs, outputs, and outcomes. Maintain intern timesheets and data entry of hours worked. Official intern files will be managed by HR.
- Participate in all program and agency meetings, trainings and development opportunities as necessary.
- Other duties may be assigned.
The Volunteer & Community Engagement Manager, in conjunction with other Pathfinders staff, will manage the supervision of the unpaid staff of approximately 200 volunteers and carry out volunteer supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s
policies, procedures and all applicable laws. Pathfinders’ model of volunteer and intern placement within programs requires that individual program staff provide day-to-day supervision of unpaid staff, with support from the Volunteer & Community Engagement Manager.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old. A High School degree or its equivalent is preferred.
- At least two years related experience working with youth and families is preferred. Previous experience working within a youth residential setting is a plus.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Organized, reliable, and able to maintain privileged client information.
- Ability to work effectively within a nontraditional youth group home setting with a diverse population.
- Must commit to the position for the full year from September 1, 2019 through August 31, 2020. A second full-year term may be available upon successful completion of first-year AmeriCorps Member service.
- Expected to meet with aftercare supervisor regularly.
Send letter of interest, current resume, and salary expectations via email to email@example.com. Please specify which position you are applying for. Agency information obtained at www.pathfindersmke.org. No phone inquiries will be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Organization
Pathfinders is committed to a diversified workforce. Persons of color, women, the disabled, and those with diverse cultural backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.