Youth Anti-Violence Advocate
Provide support to victims of sexual violence/exploitation/trafficking through advocacy and accompaniment and offer support to them through the long term effects of trauma
Under the supervision of the New Paths Program Manager, provide support to victims of sexual violence/exploitation/trafficking through advocacy and accompaniment (SANE exam, interviews with Milwaukee Police Department, District Attorney’s office, etc.) and offer support to them through the long term effects of trauma. Responsible for helping clients explore their options, access needed community resources, and develop safety plans.
- Meet with youth who have been victimized and provide advocacy/accompaniment services.
- Provide accompaniment, crisis intervention, and advocacy services, including service coordination as necessary. Refer clients to community resources and other organizations, as appropriate.
- Support youth to assess available community resources and provide that referral to the community organization or to the appropriate and needed Pathfinders services.
- Explain discussions made with legal professionals, or accompany clients to family court or legal proceeding as requested.
- Compile records and prepare reports, including case files and correspondence with youth and other mental health and social service providers involved. Develop, maintain, and submit necessary reports for program evaluation and statistical compilation.
- Develop strong collaborative relationships within Pathfinders and the outside community. Develop knowledge about community services, agencies and other individuals that may aide the client.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Requires education generally equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology, or human services, and/or life experiences and two years’ experience working with youth.
- Must possess working knowledge of the issues of sexual violence and human trafficking on victims.
- Must be organized, reliable, and demonstrate the ability to maintain privileged client information.
- Should have a valid Wisconsin driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance coverage, and be willing to travel as necessary.
- Must possess excellent communication, interpersonal, and conflict resolution skills.
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team within the parameters of the project, and to work in a changing environment where there is frequent exposure to stressful/crisis situations.
Starting salary of $33,700 - $39,500 depending upon professional background and work experience. Excellent benefits package includes health/dental, short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, and generous paid time off plan. Opportunity to join a caring and committed team of professionals.
Send a letter of interest, current resume, and wage requirements via mail or email to the address noted above. Please specify which position you are applying for. Agency information obtained at www.pathfindersmke.org. No phone inquiries will be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Organization
Pathfinders is committed to a diversified workforce. Persons of color, women, the disabled, and those with diverse cultural backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.